Thursday, September 30, 2010

Treading water


For several days now at work, it seems like I’ve been treading water.  In addition to embracing a RISC vision or standards-based instruction and changing to a trimester schedule, our school is also undergoing NEASC re-accreditation. (I choose not to hyperlink them because I suspect the RISC approach will go by the wayside eventually, and we all know what NEASC entails.)  I wonder if every school experiences a new direction every year or per new principal or is just my school?  A week ago, we also found out we needed to have a district wide writing prompt, so during our workshop this afternoon, we spent one hour grappling with new NEASC assignments because we have lost so many teachers, and the other two reading and scoring writing prompts. Rush rush rush. So much of our “professional development” time goes to administrative business instead of actual teaching. 

But enough.  The colors are gorgeous right now, and I’m heading home to downeast this weekend.  
Tra lah lah.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, every year we are inundated with new "tasks" to complete. Often times it feels we are doing the jobs that others are getting paid to complete. They certainly are good at delegating!
    Yes-the fall colors and temperatures are calling me to get outside. Have a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you are using hyperlinks reflectively :-) As you suggest, I have also found that teachers of (with good reason) play a waiting game with new initiatives as they do seem to fall by the wayside or give way to a newer initiative.

    ReplyDelete