Saturday, September 11, 2010

Happy Friday

I'm afraid to jinx myself, but so far, my classes seem to be starting off on a positive note.  It has been several years since I've taught younger students, and I recall classes as lively and rowdy and many times difficult.  (Then again, I was new.)  Unlike the seniors I've taught for several years now,  most of my sophomores complete homework.  All students have the best intentions in September, but I am impressed with their enthusiasm.  One of the ELA standards the sophomores must master by the end of November is  the poetry standard.  When a teacher mentions poetry, many tend to shut down, but these guys are hanging in.  Monday, we will look at imagery in a Phillip Booth poem, "First Lesson."  In the nonfiction classes, we've read some interesting profiles, one called "Quiet Depravity" about the comedian Sarah Silverman, in The New Yorker and a superb piece entitled "The American Male at Age Ten" by Susan Orlean.   A Writing Project colleague gave me an edition of The Best Teen Writing of 2009  and we read a moving piece by 18 year old Lauren Youngsmith that combined the profile with a narrative about a family tragedy.  The idea behind this unit was to allow the students to interview each other (a nice way to begin the year) then write a profile.  I encourage them to think about the overall unique quality of their subject, but some of them draw a blank.  I also emphasize to find the humor in their partner's responses.  Ideally, I want them to mimic some of the pieces we read.  I'd like to follow up the profile with having them interview someone outside of the school, perhaps create a documentary or podcast, but I'm not sure if we have time.  Today, I learned that one of my senior students really hates writing.  The ed tech accompanying him couldn't help, so I suggested he drag images from Google that represented his partner.  He knew that his partner had a "creepy little sister," so I typed the exact words into Google and came up with some great pictures.  This seemed to be the trick to get him working.  I want him to include captions for each image.  I suspect once the rest of the class learns of what he is doing, creating a scrapbook?  A collage?  They will want to create one also.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Dale--
    I'm glad that your sophomores are peppy!

    The nonfiction unit that you're teaching sounds awesome. Great selection of readings! I want to get my hands on The Best Teen Writing anthologies; I'd never heard of them, but they sound like they'd work really well with my English 11 composition students. We teach mostly nonfiction in that course and rely heavily on The Bedford Reader, but its reading level is tough for this CP2 group.

    Anyway, thanks for all of the good ideas...
    Happy weekend.
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that interviews are a cool way to get started. Right now I'm using self-interviews and interviews "with someone at least twice your age" to open a unit about influences that shape character. Thanks for turning me on to "The American Male..." piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Hannah. I believe it's published by Scholastic or they support The Scholastic Art & Writing Awards. It also has an introduction by Elie Wiesel. Sarah Downing-Ford passed it on to me. I'll have to take a look at the Bedford.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ken, You might like a piece by Sarah Vowell about her father called, "Shooting Dad." What class is this?

    ReplyDelete